About AMSI Travel Grants
AMSI and its funding partners offer grants to support student travel to attend AMSI BioInfoSummer 2016 in Adelaide.
AMSI Travel Grants provide funding support for delegate travel and/or accommodation. Funding of the following amounts is available per application:
- $500* is available per application for NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS students
- $600* is available per application for QLD/NT students
- $700* is available per application for WA students
*based on a set accommodation subsidy plus estimated travel costs from each State/Territory of the students home University.
These travel grants support undergraduate and postgraduate students to build and extend their skills and professional networks at AMSI BioInfoSummer.
These grants are funded by AMSI, the Australian Government’s Department of Education and Training, and other event sponsors.
Eligibility & Rules
To apply for a Grant you must be:
- enrolled in an AMSI Member University outside of Adelaide
- enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree program in a field of study relevant to BioInfoSummer 2016, and
- registered to attend the full program (5 days) of BioInfoSummer 2016
To check whether your institution is an AMSI Member, or to find out who your AMSI Member representative is, please click here.
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university.
- There are limited funded places available, this application does not guarantee funding
- We reserve the right to allocate a lower level of funding than originally requested
- If your application for funding is unsuccessful, and your attendance is dependent on this money, you will receive a full refund of your registration fee.
- While international students are welcome to attend the AMSI BioInfoSummer 2016, there are currently no Grants available to assist with costs.
Award of Grants
These grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to participants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
Applications may be submitted at any time before the Grant Application Deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
Applications should consist of the completed application form, including a copy of the applicants current CV, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant.
Payment of the Grant
The AMSI Travel Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI BioInfoSummer Event Director.
All applications received by the Grant Application Deadline will be reviewed by AMSI and the AMSI BioInfoSummer Event Director during the selection process period. Successful applicants will be notified by email on 31 October 2016.
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Travel Grant by 5pm on 4 November 2016. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount for each item requested.
The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from AMSI.
This should include the following details:
- Name of the person(s) who travelled to the event
- Date and full name of the event
- Receipts/tax invoices relating to all expenses
NOTE: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university guidelines before booking travel