About Choose Maths Grants
Building professional networks and research collaborations are vital for an academic career.
The CHOOSEMATHS Grants are designed to provide full or partial support for Australian female mathematical sciences students and early career researchers to participate in the AMSI Flagship programs.
CHOOSEMATHS Grants provide support for:
- Delegate travel and/or accommodation
- Partner & child travel and/or accommodation support
- Caring responsibility support (for example childcare or temporary rest bite)
The grants support women to build and extend their skills and professional networks by providing financial support to attend and/or assist with caring responsibilities.
The grants are funded by BHP Billiton Foundation and are an initiative of the CHOOSEMATHS Project.
Eligibility & Rules
1. The CHOOSEMATHS Grants provide full or partial support for Australian female mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students and early or mid career researchers to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer, AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships)
2. Applicants must be women who are at the time of the event satisfy one of the following:
(a) enrolled in a mathematical sciences program at an AMSI Member University
(b) are early or mid career researchers employed at an AMSI Member University
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Delegate travel/accommodation
(b) Partner & child travel/accommodation support
(c) Caring responsibility support (e.g. childcare or temporary rest-bite)
Note: Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses for example groceries, clothes, toiletries, etc etc
4. Each applicant can receive at most one CHOOSEMATHS Grant in any one-year period.
Award of Grants
5. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis by the CHOOSEMATHS Grant Committee taking into account overall benefit to the applicants. The CHOOSEMATHS Grant Committee may seek additional advice as required.
6. Applications may be submitted at any time and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
7. Applications should consist of the completed application form including a budget listing expenses requested, a copy of the applicants current CV, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant.
8. Funding of up to $3,000 is available per application.
Conditions of Grant
9. In applying for a CHOOSEMATHS Grant applicants agree
(a) that their name, photo and biography can be published on the website and for other AMSI and BHP Billiton reports and promotional material, and
(b) to submit a short written report about the event, to be used in AMSI and BHP Billiton reports, website, newsletters and other promotional material within 30 days of completion of the program.
10. Recipients must participate fully in the program that funding is received for.
Payment of the Grant
11. The CHOOSEMATHS Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI BioInfoSummer Event Director.
Funding is awarded to capped amount for each item requested. The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from AMSI.
This should include the following details:
- Name of the person(s) who travelled to the event
- Date and full name of the event
- Receipts/tax invoices relating to all expenses
NOTE: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university guidelines before booking travel
Professor Markus Hegland
AMSI Deputy Director
Associate Professor Inge Koch
Choose Maths Executive Director
Professor Geoff Prince
AMSI Research & Higher Education Program Manager
APPLY FOR A GRANT
CHOOSEMATHS will work with students, parents and teachers over five years through a program of professional development, awareness and reward to turn around community attitude to participation in mathematics, especially for girls and young women.
BHP Billiton Foundation is an independent charitable entity set up to further BHP Billiton’s voluntary investment in community. The charity is designed to provide public benefit by enabling people living in regions where BHP Billiton has an interest, to improve their quality of life through improvements in health, education and governance.