AMSI TRAVEL GRANTS
AMSI Travel Grants are funded by AMSI, the Australian Government’s Department of Education and Training, and other event sponsors.
This grant supports undergraduate and postgraduate students from AMSI Member Universities to build and extend their skills and professional networks by providing full or partial financial support towards travel to assist them to attend AMSI BioInfoSummer 2018 in Perth.
AMSI Travel Grants provide funding support for:
- Delegate travel from their home city to the conference city and/or
- Accommodation in the conference city for up to 5 nights
1. AMSI Travel Grants provide full or partial support for Australian male and female mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer, AMSI Optimise)
2. Applicants must be:
(a) Enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a field of study relevant to BioInfoSummer 2018 at an AMSI Member University outside of Perth
(b) Registered to attend the full program (five days) of BioInfoSummer 2018
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments. However, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university. To find out who your AMSI Member representative is please click here.
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Delegate travel/accommodation
Note: Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses, for example groceries, clothes, toiletries etc.
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Travel Grant in any one-year period
- There are limited funded places available. This application does not guarantee funding.
- We reserve the right to allocate a lower level of funding than originally requested.
- If your application for funding is unsuccessful, and your attendance is dependent on this money, you will receive a full refund of your registration fee.
- While international students are welcome to attend AMSI BioInfoSummer, there are currently no grants available to assist with costs.
Award of Grants
5. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to the applicants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
6. Applications may be submitted at any time before the Grant Application Deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
7. Applications should consist of the completed application form, including a copy of the applicants current CV, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant.
Conditions of Grant
8. In applying for an AMSI Travel Grant applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
(b) to complete the post event feedback survey
9. Recipients must participate fully in the program that funding is received for.
Payment of the Grant
10. The AMSI Travel Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI BioInfoSummer Event Director.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount for each item requested.
The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from The University of Western Australia (the host university).
This should include the following details:
- Name of the person(s) who travelled to the event
- Date and full name of the event
- Receipts/tax invoices relating to all expenses
Note: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university guidelines before booking travel
To complete your application the following information is required:
- Applicant information
- Type/s of funding requested (travel/accommodation)
- Budget outlining expenses
- Why you want to participate in AMSI BioInfoSummer (max 200 words)
- How participating in AMSI BioInfoSummer will benefit your skills development and career (max 200 words)
- Details regarding other funding (max 200 words)
- Other information relevant to your application
- Your current CV (PDF files only)
- A letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences (PDF files only)
Applications must be submitted by 1 October 2018
Successful applicants will be notified by email on 5 October 2018.
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Travel Grant by 5pm AEST on 10 October 2018. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and offered to other applicants.