CHOOSEMATHS Grants are an initiative of the CHOOSEMATHS Project funded by the BHP Billiton Foundation.
This grant supports Australian female mathematical sciences students and early-career researchers from AMSI member institutions to build and extend their skills and professional networks by providing full or partial financial support towards travel and caring responsibilities to assist them to attend AMSI Flagship events.
CHOOSEMATHS Grants provide funding support for:
- Delegate travel from their home city to the conference city and/or accommodation for up to 5 nights
- Partner & child travel from their home city to the conference city and/or accommodation support
- Caring responsibility support (for example childcare or temporary respite)
1. The CHOOSEMATHS Grants provide full or partial support for Australian female mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students and early or mid career researchers to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Optimise, AMSI Winter School and AMSI BioInfoSummer)
2. Applicants must be women who at the time of the event satisfy one of the following:
(a) Enrolled in a mathematical sciences program at an AMSI Member University
(b) Are early or mid career researchers employed at an AMSI Member University
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Delegate travel/accommodation
(b) Partner & child travel/accommodation support
(c) Caring responsibility support (e.g. childcare or temporary respite)
Note: Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses, for example groceries, clothes, toiletries, etc.
4. Each applicant can receive at most one CHOOSEMATHS Grant in any one-year period.
Award of Grants
5. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis by the CHOOSEMATHS Grant Committee taking into account overall benefit to the applicants. The CHOOSEMATHS Grant Committee may seek additional advice as required.
6. Applications may be submitted at any time and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
7. Applications should consist of the completed application form including a budget listing expenses requested, a copy of the applicants current CV, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant.
8. Funding of up to $3,000 is available per application.
Conditions of Grant
9. In applying for a CHOOSEMATHS Grant applicants agree
(a) that their name, photo and biography can be published on the website and for other AMSI and BHP Billiton reports and promotional material
(b) to submit a short written report about the event, to be used in AMSI and BHP Billiton reports, website, newsletters and other promotional material within 30 days of completion of the program.
(c) to complete the post event feedback survey
10. Recipients must participate fully in the program that funding is received for.
Payment of the Grant
11. The CHOOSEMATHS Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI BioInfoSummer Event Director.
Funding is awarded to capped amount for each item requested.
The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from AMSI.
This should include the following details:
- Name of the person(s) who travelled to the event
- Date and full name of the event
- Receipts/tax invoices relating to all expenses
Note: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university guidelines before booking travel
Professor Markus Hegland
AMSI Deputy Director
Associate Professor Inge Koch
Choose Maths Executive Director
Professor Geoff Prince
AMSI Research & Higher Education Program Manager
To complete your application the following information is required:
- Applicant information
- Type/s of funding requested (travel/accommodation/caring responsibilities)
- Budget outlining expenses
- Why you want to participate in AMSI BioInfoSummer (max 200 words)
- How participating in AMSI BioInfoSummer will benefit your skills development and career (max 200 words)
- If applicable, a statement providing justification for the funding requested to assist with caring responsibilities (max 200 words)
- Details regarding other funding (max 200 words)
- Other information relevant to your application
- Your current CV (PDF files only)
- A letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator, head of mathematical sciences or manager (PDF files only)
Applications must be submitted by 1 October 2018
Successful applicants will be notified by email on 5 October 2018.
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Travel Grant by 5pm AEST on 10 October 2018. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and offered to other applicants.
CHOOSEMATHS will work with students, parents and teachers over five years through a program of professional development, awareness and reward to turn around community attitude to participation in mathematics, especially for girls and young women.
BHP Billiton Foundation is an independent charitable entity set up to further BHP Billiton’s voluntary investment in community. The charity is designed to provide public benefit by enabling people living in regions where BHP Billiton has an interest, to improve their quality of life through improvements in health, education and governance.